Table of Content
Help on using the Forum
- First thing is to spend a few seconds to see the 3 golden rules in the friendly forum rules page… [developer.qt.nokia.com]
- The forum and the wiki uses a simple Textile [textism.com] formatting syntax
- Be sure to visit the ranks [developer.qt.nokia.com] page to see how ranks and points work.
- Be sure to also see the ratings [developer.qt.nokia.com] and tags [developer.qt.nokia.com] links to understand how they work.
- Make sure that the question or comment you have, hasn’t been already asked. Use the search field on the top right of the screen for this purpose.
- You could search by tags [developer.qt.nokia.com] too
- There are over 400+ FAQs [developer.qt.nokia.com] covering many topics already
- Browse the various forums already available and post your new thread under relevant forum.
- The forum home page has a brief description on each of the available forums, if not sure post it in “Desktop” and one of the moderators will help you out.
- Use the preview option to check your edits before you save unless you are 120% sure that you never make mistakes.
- You could tag important keywords, to help the next person who wants to search
- Once your question has been answered, be sure to confirm that your problem has been solved
- Common practice is to tag such posts with “solved” or also prefix the subject with [Solved]. This will help the next search.
- Post subsequent or related questions in a new thread (you can refer the old one), this way one thread per question. Again easy to search later
Code Wrapping and Syntax highlighting
In the toolbar you will find a code tag (an “at” sign) to make code highlighted like this:
- #include <QtGui>
- #include "window.h"
- int main(int argv, char **args)
- QApplication app(argv, args);
- Window window;
- return app.exec();
Qt classes are of course supported.
- Be sure to add the @ tag before and after your code.
- You can use the link feature available in the toolbar when you type in any links.
- Properly format your code for easy reading
- If you need the @ in your code, replace it with @ or @
- Use html codes [ascii.cl] for displaying other special characters in code
Hint : if you want to try out some code that has syntax highlighting, then double click in a code block to select it. Copy paste it in Qt Creator and play with it. If you manually select the code by dragging, you can end up with one line of code because that way linefeeds are not used.
SOLVED and CLOSED threads
On a CLOSED thread no one can post comments anymore. This state can be set by forum admins. It’s usually done when the discussion becomes too off topic or things escalate in another way.
Marking a thread as SOLVED is just an addition to the thread’s topic. The original poster (or a forum moderator) can change the topic, just click on the edit link below your avatar and user name. It usually marks that a question is answered sufficiently. It does not mean that further discussions are prohibited. That would not be a good idea either: Although a problem is solved, discussion may bring up even better solutions.
Voting by Polls
- Start a new thread as usual
- Give some background about the poll in the text field (links to previous discussions are useful!)
- Click the link below the text field to add a poll to your thread
- Make sure your question is as clear and understandable as possible, the same goes for all the optional answers
- You can edit your poll as long as no user has voted
- Every user can only vote once, multiple options are not possible
- A neutral option might be useful in some cases.
- Below the poll, the thread behaves as any other in the forum
Explanation of the editor
There are 9 buttons beneath “Post a reply”
The first 5 are straightforward
3) Stroke through
4) Bulleted list
5) Numeric list
To insert pictures you need an internet service which stores your picture. There are free services like DropBox. Just make sure you put the picture in the public area. Then you use the link to that picture on the internet eg. http://db.rrt/iU1n1G and you paste this in the dialogbox that appears when you click the Picture button..
Make sure that you are using a link to the picture. You can see with the “preview” button that the picture is actually displayed in your post. There are services (e.g. imageshack.us) providing only a link to a webpage containing the picture. The “preview” button will show you that the link is broken. Check out how to get the proper link to the picture.
When you click this button you get a dialog box in which you can type or paste an internet address. This address will appear in the editor with a prefix text highlighted. Just type to change the text to something more useful e.g.” Link to bug report”. The result is a clickable hyperlink with a descriptive text and a location like [bugreports.qt.nokia.com] .
Select a text, push this button and it will appear with a distinctive gray background
Select your code and it will get row numbers you can refer to and also syntax highlighting and colors.
Below the text editor
You can select :
Notify me via email when someone posts in this thread
If you want emails sent to you when somebody replies to this topic.
The “preview” button shows you your post as it would appear to others. This helps to see if everything is well made up.
Finally you click the “Post reply” button and your text will appear in the forum.
On the right of your topic
Use the “quote” link to make a copy of the post with the name of the one that posted it.
Sometimes you only see errors after posting your message. Then you can use the “edit” link on the right of your post to change things. Please use Edit : if there are big changes made.
If you click on “link” then you get a web adress in the edit field of your webbrowser like this:
Which you can use to point to a specific post.
The “report” link is used if you want to report anything like topics that don’t belong here.
For instance spam or report to the admins that a topic is getting out of hand, or that you think somebody is making a personal attack on another user.
Just start a thread on the Beta Testing Forum [developer.qt.nokia.com], and someone will help you
… this article is “work in progress” …
- FAQ based on questions in the forums
- Styling guidelines