May 22, 2010

Alexander Kuchumov Alexander Kuchumov
Lab Rat
365 posts

QtCreator and multiple monitors

Page  

It would be useful to add multiple monitors support in to the QtCreator. For example, user can open some of *.cpp and *.h files on the second monitor.

42 replies

May 22, 2010

Jorj Jorj
Lab Rat
87 posts

Cant you just open another instance of QtCreator if you were working on different files anyway?

I know I do this when working on separate but dependant projects.

May 25, 2010

Lab Rat
365 posts

But it’s not comfortable. It would be better to have one IDE on the separate monitors.

May 25, 2010

Utku Utku
Lab Rat
23 posts

Documentation in one screen, and the code or the designer in the other screen… It would be awesome.

Signature 

The only way for errors to occur in a program is by being put there by the author. ~ Harlan Mills

May 25, 2010

Denis Kormalev Denis Kormalev
Lab Rat
1607 posts

jorjpimm, yeah opening two instances can help, but not when you are working on one project with these two files. From my point it will be great to be able to open different views (doc and code, debug and console and so on) at different monitors or moving debug pane to another monitor.

May 25, 2010

Esdras Beleza Esdras Beleza
Lab Rat
22 posts

I also use two monitors. The bigger screen I use for Qt Creator and in the other screen I open the documentation in some browser.

But I agree: it would be good to have Qt Creator windows in two (or more!) screens.

May 26, 2010

Jorj Jorj
Lab Rat
87 posts

Yes, it would be useful, especially when trying to split the debugging view from the code, a lot like in Visual Studio where you can drag all the palettes around as you like.

June 7, 2010

AlexBravo AlexBravo
Lab Rat
11 posts

Eclipse also does a very good job when working with multiple monitors. I would be grat to have it in Qt Creator too.

June 7, 2010

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
559 posts

It seems there is some agreement that it would be nice to have. Can someone file a wishlist bug in JIRA? That would be neat! :)

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*
Web Community Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

June 7, 2010

ucomesdag ucomesdag
Lab Rat
226 posts

Does that mean I have to buy a second monitor? :D Actually that would be a good excuse to buy a second one!

Signature 

Write “Qt”, not “QT” (QuickTime).

June 23, 2010

Tobias Hunger Tobias Hunger
Hobby Entomologist
3373 posts

Alexandra: We do have wishlist bugs for multi monitor support. E.g. QTCREATORBUG-45 [bugreports.qt.nokia.com]

Unfortunately we have not yet come up with a good way to do it. Suggestions are always welcome! Of course demos and merge requests are even more welcome:-)

June 23, 2010

Andre Andre
Robot Herder
6422 posts
Utku wrote:
Documentation in one screen, and the code or the designer in the other screen… It would be awesome.

I do that all the time, by simply having one instance of QtCreator and one instance of QtAssistant open; each one on their own screen. Works nicely for me!

June 23, 2010

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
559 posts

Tobias Hunger wrote:
Alexandra: We do have wishlist bugs for multi monitor support. E.g. QTCREATORBUG-45 [bugreports.qt.nokia.com]

Unfortunately we have not yet come up with a good way to do it. Suggestions are always welcome! Of course demos and merge requests are even more welcome:-)

Cool. At least it will not just be forgotten. :)

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*

June 23, 2010

Lab Rat
365 posts

I do that all the time, by simply having one instance of QtCreator and one instance of QtAssistant open; each one on their own screen. Works nicely for me!

I also do that. But, it will be useful to have possibility to show context help (F1) from cpp file in the Creatosr to the Assistant on second screen or detach cpp file and move it to the second screen. It’s useful to have one *.h file on the first screen and *.cpp file on the second screen.

June 24, 2010

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
559 posts

I don’t know if everybody is aware of this: since it is already filed as a wishlist bug in our bugtracker you can vote for it! It’s of course not a guarantee for a coming implementation but it increases the chances if there are many people voting for a bug.

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*

July 2, 2010

Eike Ziller Eike Ziller
Ant Farmer
16 posts

Because I read someone mentioning debugging windows, that is actually one of the few things that should work wrt multiple monitors:
In Debug Mode uncheck Window->Views->Locked, you can then drag the debugger views around, and also float them. When you’ve decided about your favorite layout, just re-check Locked to get rid of the visual clutter again (floating states etc will be preserved).

Page  

‹‹ FIXME, TODO, and other notes in Qt Creator      QtCreator auto implement methods ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!