June 12, 2011

hcwdjk hcwdjk
Lab Rat
12 posts

building Qt on 64bit Windows: “conversion from ‘size_t’ to ‘int’, possible loss of data”

I’m trying to build 64bit QtCore4.dll on Windows 7 using Visual Studio 2010. I have some experience developing on Linux, but I’ve never done it on Windows, so I’m kind of running blind here and proceed based on fragments of information I find on various websites… So I did this: I fired up “Visual Studio x64 Win64 Command Prompt (2010)”, navigated to the Qt source directory, from where I typed: “configure -fast -release” followed by “nmake”. It seemed to work, but I noticed a lot of the mentioned warnings like this one:

1. c:\users\piotrek\downloads\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.3\include\qtcore\../
  2. ../src/corelib/tools/qvector.h(296) : warning C4267: 'argument' : conversion fro
  3. m 'size_t' to 'int', possible loss of data
  4.         c:\users\piotrek\downloads\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.3\include\qt
  5. core\../../src/corelib/tools/qvector.h(296) : while compiling class template mem
  6. ber function 'QVector<T> QVector<T>::fromStdVector(const std::vector<_Ty> &)'
  7.         with
  8.         [
  9.             T=QPoint,
  10.             _Ty=QPoint
  11.         ]
  12.         c:\users\piotrek\downloads\qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.3\include\qt
  13. core\../../src/corelib/tools/qvector.h(796) : see reference to class template in
  14. stantiation 'QVector<T>' being compiled
  15.         with
  16.         [
  17.             T=QPoint
  18.         ]

When I tried using the resulting lib, I got a lot of random crashes.

Any thoughts how to solve this? Or maybe someone can send me or point me to a 64bit QtCore.dll (from Qt 4.7)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

10 replies

June 12, 2011

jim_kaiser jim_kaiser
Lab Rat
144 posts

Hi there,

I have compiled Qt on Windows XP x64, and use it in my project without these crashes you mention. The size_t to int warning is quite common and mostly harmless. Maybe you could trace the reason of the crash?

June 12, 2011

jim_kaiser jim_kaiser
Lab Rat
144 posts

I forgot to add, we use Visual Studio 2005, with the QMAKESPEC “win32-msvc2005” (The same is used for 64 bit too). Maybe you could try giving the appropriate makespec argument to configure, since you use Visual Studio 2010.

June 12, 2011

hcwdjk hcwdjk
Lab Rat
12 posts

Well, it’s either the way I build Qt, or the way I build my library on Windows, because it works like a charm on 64bit linux.

I tried debugging it in visual studio, but I couldn’t figure out how to set it up to break on a crash. I can’t even tell what type of crash it is exactly… When I’m debugging on linux using QtCreator it just stops when there’s a segfault or other type of crash. VS on the other hand does nothing and lets the app die. How can I set VS to stop the execution on a crash?

Maybe you could try giving the appropriate makespec argument to configure, since you use Visual Studio 2010.

configure.exe properly deafulted to win32-msvc2010, so there’s no problem here.

June 12, 2011

koahnig koahnig
Gene Splicer
2904 posts

As jim_kaiser stated already the warnings are frequently and typically harmless, but you should have made the same experience on linux anyhow.

Maybe you try it without the -fast and -release switches in your configure command.

June 12, 2011

hcwdjk hcwdjk
Lab Rat
12 posts

the warnings are frequently and typically harmless

Yeah, I didn’t really think this through. I must have somehow associated size_t with pointers and thought there are pointers being butchered because some part of the buildsystem thinks it’s compiling for x86. That was the best lead I had anyway

but you should have made the same experience on linux anyhow.

Well, I just did a build on 64bit linux and there are no such warnings here.

Maybe you try it without the -fast and -release switches in your configure command.

I’ll try it tomorrow and report on the results.

June 12, 2011

jim_kaiser jim_kaiser
Lab Rat
144 posts

VS on the other hand does nothing and lets the app die. How can I set VS to stop the execution on a crash?

Generally, that shouldn’t happen. Unless, you’re building in release mode, it should break after a crash. You’re saying you get no message at all? What about the execution output in Visual Studio, anything useful there? Also, I hope the command prompt is of x64 and not win64, you could explicitly set the environment by calling the appropriate .bat file (something like vcvars_x64.bat) or run vcvarsall.bat with the x64 argument.

June 12, 2011

koahnig koahnig
Gene Splicer
2904 posts

I have to admit that I did not pay a lot of attention to warnings last time I had built it on linux. As long as it does not stop with an error, it seems to be fine ;-)

June 12, 2011

hcwdjk hcwdjk
Lab Rat
12 posts

As long as it does not stop with an error, it seems to be fine ;-)

That’s a good rule of thumb, but here I was extra wary because I didn’t really know what I was doing ;)

June 13, 2011

hcwdjk hcwdjk
Lab Rat
12 posts

Allright, it seems I’m an idiot after all. I was so sure, that I was doing something wrong with building Qt, I didn’t bother to check the one tiny part of code (just 3 lines) I changed when switching to Windows, which caused a bug I had in the code from the beginning to surface. So, sorry for all the fuss ;)

June 13, 2011

koahnig koahnig
Gene Splicer
2904 posts

Sh.. happens. Good to know that you managed to get it solved.

‹‹ [Ubuntu] compiling for Windows, Mac OS X      Binaries for Linux in a tar file ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!