August 20, 2010

Deleted Member # 4a2 Deleted Member # 4a2
Ant Farmer
1481 posts

points expire in 6 months

Page  

do you mean there won’t be a points system after 6 months? or points acquired 6 months earlier are lost? can you elaborate?

17 replies

August 20, 2010

Denis Kormalev Denis Kormalev
Lab Rat
1654 posts

Points that you’ve collected at January will be lost at July.

August 20, 2010

Ant Farmer
1481 posts

that is a good idea … one has to be active to retain the current rank :)

August 20, 2010

Ivan Čukić Ivan Čukić
Lab Rat
120 posts

Yes, but it has its downsides (the whole point system) – the chatroom becomes the most popular place in the whole forum and people start playing post multiplying games.

Signature 

Ivan Čukić | ivan.cukic(at)kde.org | KDE e.V.
Qt Ambassador

August 20, 2010

Ant Farmer
1481 posts

I think something like “this was helpful” by the user who posted the original thread should carry more points than just ordinary replies. So actual useful posts will carry more points weight than just chatter.

August 20, 2010

Ivan Čukić Ivan Čukić
Lab Rat
120 posts
chetankjain wrote:
I think something like “this was helpful” …

^^ this was helpful :)

Definitely, a +1 for the idea

edit: why are caps not shown in the post?

Signature 

Ivan Čukić | ivan.cukic(at)kde.org | KDE e.V.
Qt Ambassador

August 22, 2010

Gurudutt Gurudutt
Lab Rat
231 posts
chetankjain wrote:
I think something like “this was helpful” by the user who posted the original thread should carry more points than just ordinary replies. So actual useful posts will carry more points weight than just chatter.

It is also possible the original thread is just a question thread and then it’s reply is more valuable content than just question so reply posts are also important.

Also it is bit complicated to know by program if the replied post was valuable post or just a reply with “thank you” statement.

Signature 

Release Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

October 23, 2010

anselmolsm anselmolsm
Ant Farmer
417 posts
Ivan Čukić wrote:
chetankjain wrote:
I think something like “this was helpful” …

^^ this was helpful :)
Definitely, a +1 for the idea

+1 for this idea too. Good answers should receive a bonus – sometimes a good answer take time to be prepared (e.g. when need a example code) and currently has the same weight as a smiley answer.

Signature 

Anselmo L. S. Melo (anselmolsm)
www.anselmolsm.org

October 25, 2010

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
607 posts

Two things.

First, we have decided to retire the earned points after 12 months, not 6. Most users are not even close to one of the top ranks and we don’t want to make anybody unhappy, do we? ;)

Then, I said it before and I will say it again, there will be a reputation system coming that takes care of the quality as opposed to the points system that rewards activity. Both systems have their up- and downsides and we believe that a combination of them makes the most sense.

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*
Web Community Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

October 25, 2010

Ant Farmer
1481 posts

+1 for 12 months of points validity :)

October 25, 2010

Smar Smar
Lab Rat
269 posts

Alexandra Leisse wrote:
Two things.

Then, I said it before and I will say it again, there will be a reputation system coming that takes care of the quality as opposed to the points system that rewards activity. Both systems have their up- and downsides and we believe that a combination of them makes the most sense.

I was going to say something about stackoverflow’s model, but that pretty much covered it all :)

Something between reputation and points system should be most attractive to (new + old, instead of new/old) users, I suppose. Or it will backfire, but meh.

October 25, 2010

Tobias Hunger Tobias Hunger
Area 51 Engineer
3383 posts

Alexandra: With 12 month timeout for the activity points you do need to add a “Super mad scientist” rank for chetankjain!

October 25, 2010

Ant Farmer
1481 posts

super mad scientist! … oh oh … will there be a better badge for that :P

October 26, 2010

Denis Kormalev Denis Kormalev
Lab Rat
1654 posts

Alexandra, looks like Ranks page [developer.qt.nokia.com] was not updated yet about 12 months period.

October 29, 2010

Ant Farmer
1481 posts

In the new reputation system that is being planned, I would also like to suggest if I may, along with right answers boosting one’s reputation, asking the right questions should also get recognized. If some user would point out issues or bugs, provides suggestions to improve the Qt framework, then that is also a lot of value add and should be factored in …

October 29, 2010

mariusg mariusg
Ant Farmer
1099 posts
Denis Kormalev wrote:
Alexandra, looks like Ranks page [developer.qt.nokia.com] was not updated yet about 12 months period.

Updated :)

Signature 

Project Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

Page  

‹‹ Forum help would be good      Ratings count on hover ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!