December 23, 2012

JKSH JKSH
Area 51 Engineer
2901 posts

Unofficial MinGW-based build of Qt 5.0.0 is now available

Page  

Courtesy of Алексей Павлов (Alex) from the MinGW-builds project: http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-December/008919.html

FINAL UPDATE (2013-01-29):

Signature 

Qt Documentation Search (Google Chrome): http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/36199

29 replies

December 30, 2012

inspired inspired
Lab Rat
23 posts

Error (509)
This account’s public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Any chance of a mirror link?

Just compiled my program with qt5, though it’s a nightmare for the dlls, i just cannot get it to run on another test machine with no qt, msvc etc installed…

i miss the mingw where i just put some dlls in the same folder of the exe (and knew which were needed) and all was good :D

January 3, 2013

utcenter utcenter
Ant Farmer
820 posts

Same problem here, I built Qt5 with MSVC2012 and cannot get the exe to run on any other machine, and worst part is I get no error, even Dependency walker doesn’t help.

Maybe this build can be hosted here on the QtProject website? Dropbox ain’t gonna work too good in this case…

January 3, 2013

JKSH JKSH
Area 51 Engineer
2901 posts

When I manage to download a copy, I’ll set up a mirror.

In the meantime, this might help with general deployment on Windows: http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/23286/

Signature 

Qt Documentation Search (Google Chrome): http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/36199

January 3, 2013

utcenter utcenter
Ant Farmer
820 posts

Yeah, but still no success, I bundled the following DLLs:
D3DCompiler_46.dll
libEGL.dll
libGLESv2.dll
msvcp110.dll
msvcr110.dll
Qt5Core.dll
Qt5Gui.dll
Qt5Widgets.dll
qwindows.dll

No error, no nothing, the exe just doesn’t start…

January 3, 2013

JKSH JKSH
Area 51 Engineer
2901 posts

Is qwindows.dll in a subfolder (“platforms”), relative to the executable?

Failing that… try dumping all the DLLs from C:\<Qt>\bin\ (and all the folders in C:\<Qt>\plugins\) into the directory and see if it works :P

(Hint: Instead of moving everything to the other PC to test, you can rename your Qt folder to temporarily hide Qt from your system, making it emulate a “Qt-less” machine)

Signature 

January 4, 2013

JKSH JKSH
Area 51 Engineer
2901 posts

Mirror is now available (see original post)

Signature 

January 4, 2013

utcenter utcenter
Ant Farmer
820 posts

Checking it out. BTW I managed to get my deployment properly – turned out I wasn’t using the “right” VC runtime DLL, got like 20 dlls and like 5-6 different versions.

January 4, 2013

utcenter utcenter
Ant Farmer
820 posts

It works, however, there is a HUGEEEEE performance difference when compared to MSVC and even to x86 Qt4 build.

Qt5 MinGW x64:
Qt5 MinGW 64

Qt5 MSVC2012 ×64:
Qt5 MSVC2012 64

Qt4 MinGW x86:
Qt4 MinGW 32

I suspect there is something wrong with this build, it is not possible for MinGW to be almost 4 times slower than MSVC. And if anything, I expected this to be faster than 32bit Qt4 build, yet it is more than 2 times slower.

January 5, 2013

Dimbreath Dimbreath
Lab Rat
34 posts

utcenter wrote:
It works, however, there is a HUGEEEEE performance difference when compared to MSVC and even to x86 Qt4 build.

Qt5 MinGW x64:
Qt5 MinGW 64

Qt5 MSVC2012 ×64:
Qt5 MSVC2012 64

Qt4 MinGW x86:
Qt4 MinGW 32

I suspect there is something wrong with this build, it is not possible for MinGW to be almost 4 times slower than MSVC. And if anything, I expected this to be faster than 32bit Qt4 build, yet it is more than 2 times slower.

Wow, that’s… slow. Let’s just hope for official MinGW…

January 5, 2013

alexpux alexpux
Lab Rat
11 posts

I try to rebuild my builds of Qt5 for mingw with some optimization after 8th january and upload them. You can test perfomance again.

January 5, 2013

soroush soroush
Lab Rat
818 posts
alexpux wrote:
I try to rebuild my builds of Qt5 for mingw with some optimization after 8th january and upload them. You can test perfomance again.

I just finished my optimized SDK today. It’s a -O3 -mtune=native for 64 bit and -O3 -mtune=i686 for 32 bit :)

January 5, 2013

alexpux alexpux
Lab Rat
11 posts

Good :)
But I now build with “-march=nocona -mtune=core2” for 64-bit and “-march=i686 -mtune=core2” for 32-bit. Next I try to build Qt5 with ANGLE.

January 5, 2013

utcenter utcenter
Ant Farmer
820 posts
alexpux wrote:

Hi, I’ve done some optimization to my algorithm – now MinGW performance is much better, but still somewhat lower than MSVC. In fact with the improved algorithm the MinGW version is a little faster than the old MSVC version. I wonder what could have caused performance to be so low before, the version of MinGW you have bundled should support all the C++11 features that increase performance, C++11 support in MinGW is a little better than that of MSVC2012. Anyway, here are the new results:

Qt5 MSVC2012 ×64:
MSVC

Qt5 MinGW x64:
MinGW

Now the performance difference is only 0.3x – much better than 4x. So the build is not that slow, as long as you code efficiently. It is still a little slower than Qt4 MinGW x86 – which gets 30 MCPS performance.

January 5, 2013

soroush soroush
Lab Rat
818 posts
utcenter wrote:
alexpux wrote:

Hi, I’ve done some optimization to my algorithm – now MinGW performance is much better, but still somewhat lower than MSVC. In fact with the improved algorithm the MinGW version is a little faster than the old MSVC version. I wonder what could have caused performance to be so low before, the version of MinGW you have bundled should support all the C++11 features that increase performance, C++11 support in MinGW is a little better than that of MSVC2012. Anyway, here are the new results:

Qt5 MSVC2012 ×64:
MSVC

Qt5 MinGW x64:
MinGW

Now the performance difference is only 0.3x – much better than 4x. So the build is not that slow, as long as you code efficiently. It is still a little slower than Qt4 MinGW x86 – which gets 30 MCPS performance.

can you provide more information about your testing system? I can’t agree with your results. I’m experiencing average 5% of speedup with MinGW x64 compared with MSVC 2012 :/

My PC: intel Dual Core 2.4 GHz @ 4GB RAM ~ Windows 7 64 bit

MinGW
Optimization flags: “-O3 -mtune=native”
Threading model: POSIX

MSVC
Optimization flags: “/Ox”

January 5, 2013

utcenter utcenter
Ant Farmer
820 posts

i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 7 ×64
The MSVC build is 64bit, I haven’t really set any optimization flags, so everything should be by default

Page  

‹‹ Modern OpenGL with Qt trainings announced      SnowGlobe 2013 - a free weather app for your desktop! ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!