April 18, 2012

mlong mlong
Robot Herder
1551 posts

Does Qt need a modern C++ GUI API?

Page  

Does Qt need a modern C++ GUI API?
No, I am perfectly happy with QML, JavaScript, interpreters, virtual machines, glue code, glue abstract and proxy object 84
Yes, I’d like the option of 100% native development without being left behind with a last century GUI API 205
Total Votes: 289
You must be a logged-in member to vote

Per Temp’s request here…

Asking whether QML is sufficient, or there needs to be a C++ alternative to QML’s declarative language.

[Edited to add:]

Disclaimer: This poll is not necessarily in my personal interest. I was posting it on behalf of Temp (now apparently ‘Deleted Member # 1de04’ as of 4 May 2012), and I am not too concerned with the results one way or another.

Signature 

Senior Software Engineer
AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions
/* My views and opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.  Void where prohibited. */

243 replies

April 19, 2012

cincirin cincirin
Ant Farmer
453 posts

I believe Apple Animation Framework is what Qt C++ GUI have to follow

April 19, 2012

broadpeak broadpeak
Lab Rat
362 posts

Yes, we REALLY need a (of course: ansi/iso standard) C++ cross platform desktop framework!

April 19, 2012

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
607 posts

I voted top without really voting, so you can subtract my vote from “No, I am perfectly happy…” I was just curious about the results :P

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*
Web Community Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

April 19, 2012

Deleted Member # 1de04 Deleted Member # 1de04
Lab Rat
57 posts

I assume because you didn’t trust me when I told you the ratio :) It must have sounded too improbable, unbelievable ;)

April 19, 2012

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
607 posts
temp wrote:
I assume because you didn’t trust me when I told you the ratio :) It must have sounded too improbable, unbelievable ;)

Actually, not at all. I was curious to see the actual numbers, and if we’re talking 50, 500 or 5000 votes. :P

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*

April 19, 2012

Lab Rat
57 posts

Pardon me, I just have this idea that the trolls are very concrete in the view QML is all that is needed for GUI development, so it could come as a surprise if lots of developers disagree.

I actually asked mlong if it is possible to put the poll in a more visible place like the main page or something. This way it will bulk up faster and give a more definite view what percent of Qt developers are interested in a new and better C++ GUI API.

April 19, 2012

mlong mlong
Robot Herder
1551 posts

In a perfect world, both options would be worded much more carefully (and neutrally.) It’s very easy to slant a poll’s results by the wording of the options. Some pollsters make a tidy living doing such.

Signature 

Senior Software Engineer
AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions
/* My views and opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.  Void where prohibited. */

April 19, 2012

Alexandra Alexandra
Hobby Entomologist
607 posts
temp wrote:
I actually asked mlong if it is possible to put the poll in a more visible place like the main page or something. This way it will bulk up faster and give a more definite view what percent of Qt developers are interested in a new and better C++ GUI API.

Tricky. I’d rather not promote single threads, it will open a can of worms. And that is regardless of the topic. :P But of course, you’re free to push it through your online channels, whichever they may be. :)

mlong wrote:
In a perfect world, both options would be worded much more carefully (and neutrally.) It’s very easy to slant a poll’s results by the wording of the options. Some pollsters make a tidy living doing such.

Writing survey (or interview) questions is an art. There are complete books on the topic.

Signature 

*THE CAKE IS A LIE*

April 19, 2012

broadpeak broadpeak
Lab Rat
362 posts

Hmmm! 2/3 for us, we lead :)

April 20, 2012

Lab Rat
57 posts
mlong wrote:

I’ll admit to giving directionality to the wording, but after all, QML is here to stay, it doesn’t need justification, more important is to present its drawbacks, since those are a significant part of the reasons we need the option to skip all that not-really-necessary stuff. Also, the benefits of QML have been promoted at a large scale on DEV talks, the LABS and BLOG sections and what not, we all know the benefits but I never saw any blog post or tech talk focus on its drawbacks, so I did, for the sake of objectivity and restoring neutrality by providing the “other side of the story”.

Also, in a perfect world Qt would have an awesome, hardware accelerated, fragment shader painting, openCL advanced blending C++ GUI, so this poll wouldn’t even exist ;)

April 20, 2012

kkrzewniak kkrzewniak
Lab Rat
219 posts

I voted “yes”, but only because QML is not a golden bullet. But I’m also 100% sure that the Trolls know that.

And IMHO some people are just blowing stuff out of proportion when b..ing about Qt5 being too QMLcentric.

#1 C++ will always be a core language for Qt (I love C++ and can’t imagine it being anyother way)
#2 Most of the time QML actually improves your software architecture by drawing more solid lines between the front-end and the back-end.
#3 It’s not like C++ support has been dropped or anything.

Signature 

Me, Grimlock, not “nice dino”. ME BASH BRAINS!

April 20, 2012

capisce capisce
Lab Rat
32 posts

Also, the benefits of QML have been promoted at a large scale on DEV talks, the LABS and BLOG sections and what not, we all know the benefits but I never saw any blog post or tech talk focus on its drawbacks.

Hmm, why not write such a blog post then, maybe with some benchmarks showing how terribly slow QML is, or how much glue code and proxy objects is needed compared to a hypothetical pure C++ API? I presume you have some experience backing up your claims?

April 20, 2012

Wilk Wilk
Lab Rat
120 posts

I think that in a perfect world, C++ API and QML are equal. In addition, I would be happy if there is an easy tool for converting between the QML and C++ code. But the world is not perfect, so I say, “Yes, we need a native C++ GUI API”. Maybe I even prefer it to be incompatible with the old one to make it faster and better, but without losing the existing features (AFAIK in Qt5 we lose some functionality of QMainWindow based on QWidget while having QWindow class).

April 21, 2012

d3fault d3fault
Lab Rat
5 posts

Does Qt, a C++ framework/GUI toolkit, need a modern C++ GUI API?

Seriously? Is this really being asked?

April 21, 2012

minimoog77 minimoog77
Lab Rat
130 posts

If anyone believes that with C++ you can write modern GUI, so be it.

Wrong tool.

Page  

‹‹ Rumour: Nokia to be split?      Egyptian Qt developer Wanted ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!