November 5, 2010

Luca Luca
Ant Farmer
633 posts

Old symbian phone && QT in new firmware

 

Why doesn’t new firmware for old phone contains QT libraries ?

I have an E66 and I installed QT on it but it should be useful if QT came in new firmware upgrade.

11 replies

November 7, 2010

Franzk Franzk
Lab Rat
830 posts

Company policy probably. They’d rather have people buy new phones than update functionality on older ones. Besides, at some point in the software lifetime you have to decide not to add any features anymore and just do some occasional maintenance. After a while, Nokia will stop providing firmware updates for the E66 as well. It’s how things go in business.

 Signature 

“Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.”—W.C. Fields

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

November 8, 2010

Luca Luca
Ant Farmer
633 posts

Probably you are right… :-)

December 4, 2010

xsacha xsacha
Lab Rat
517 posts

Well another reason is that Qt needs to be installed on C:\ on Symbian phones.
Old Symbian phones have always had very limited space on C:\ to the point where it’s very difficult to install anything. Of course you can install on memory card but a lot of apps don’t recommend this.

If you add 10-20MB of Qt files on to C:\, you’ll get a lot of people complaining. Especially since there aren’t many Qt apps for pre-touch phones.

 Signature 

- Sacha

December 4, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1140 posts

xsacha wrote:
Well another reason is that Qt needs to be installed on C:\ on Symbian phones.
Old Symbian phones have always had very limited space on C:\ to the point where it’s very difficult to install anything. Of course you can install on memory card but a lot of apps don’t recommend this.

If you add 10-20MB of Qt files on to C:\, you’ll get a lot of people complaining. Especially since there aren’t many Qt apps for pre-touch phones.

This is certainly one of the reasons along with performance issues. And one can only dream of support for QML in such devices without any performance issues.

December 4, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1140 posts

tamhanna wrote:
Hi,
if you ask me, it will take months before QML will be used.

I am writing a book right now and no mention of it anywhere…

For newer devices like N8 once ovi store extend support for QML based apps, it can pickup. Since creating simple games and apps with good ux is very easy. Yes, it would take a few months. May be we can expect this somewhere in the first half of next year.

December 4, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1140 posts

Yes devices like N97 N97 mini will be supported, but I doubt how much support would be extended to much older devices. Also the pain on these devices is that the user will have to initially download binaries of about 12 MB and should have equal amount of space on c: for their installation.

December 4, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1140 posts

tamhanna wrote:
Hi,
if you ask me, it will take months before QML will be used.

I am writing a book right now and no mention of it anywhere…

Well since you are writing a book on Qt and being a FN DiBo member, you might know what happened to the book on “Qt for Symbian”. It was too early, by the time the book was released Mobility api’s were changed.

December 4, 2010

blex blex
Lab Rat
192 posts
QtK wrote:
you might know what happened to the book on “Qt for Symbian”. It was too early, by the time the book was released Mobility api’s were changed.

I was very happy when find this book some months ago. But when I start to read it I understand that it is almost useless for now. Sadly.

 Signature 

————————————

Oleksiy Balabay

December 4, 2010

blex blex
Lab Rat
192 posts

tamhanna wrote:
Let me welcome you to the hard and unnice experience of writing a computer book!

Shelf file: 1.5 years is what publishers calculate nowadays

That is why the quality of the computer books very often is the same as the quality of the official documentation. Qt has good documentation, so, the Qt books usually good enough :)

 Signature 

————————————

Oleksiy Balabay

December 4, 2010

xsacha xsacha
Lab Rat
517 posts

You have to write the book, update it just after a development cycle, then release it.
Even better if development has just ceased as your book will be the latest on the subject matter forever!

 Signature 

- Sacha

December 4, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1140 posts

The best is to have open books as made available in symbian.org wiki. Any updates any one can update it.

 
  ‹‹ Qt LightSwitch      Should Qt Mobility be renamed to something else ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!