October 15, 2010

kyleplattner kyleplattner
Lab Rat
242 posts

Questions about QML for new developer

We are looking into using QML to develop a UI for a linux embedded display unit and I had a few related questions.

1. Are there any books or other resources that I can get my hands on that lay out QML well?
2. How can I create my own QML widgets?
3. How would one begin to approach GPS mapping?

Thanks,

Kyle

3 replies

October 16, 2010

anselmolsm anselmolsm
Ant Farmer
417 posts

kyleplattner wrote:

1. Are there any books or other resources that I can get my hands on that lay out QML well?

I don’t know any book yet about Qt 4.7. Let’s see if any other colleague can help on this. A starting point is the official documentation [doc.trolltech.com], not ideal yet IMO but enough to begin.

kyleplattner wrote:
2. How can I create my own QML widgets?

There is this topic [doc.trolltech.com] in the docs about creating custom QML elements. For more complext widgets, probably you’ll need to write parts of it in C++, then check this tutorial [doc.trolltech.com].

kyleplattner wrote:
3. How would one begin to approach GPS mapping?

Take a look at Qt-Mobility Location API, docs here [doc.qt.nokia.com].

I hope these answers help you somehow. I don’t know how familiar you are with Qt and its docs, so maybe I wrote a lot of ‘already known’ stuff.

Signature 

Anselmo L. S. Melo (anselmolsm)
www.anselmolsm.org

October 16, 2010

kalle kalle
Lab Rat
42 posts

KDAB is offering two trainings about “Qt Quick for C++ Developers” in the near future, assuming you have some C++ skills already, this may be what you need. The dates are January 25-26, 2011, in Berlin, Germany, and February 08-09 in Houston, Texas, USA. Please see the full schedule [kdab.com]. We can also run this training (even customized to your needs) onsite for your team at pretty much any time.

October 16, 2010

Tobias Hunger Tobias Hunger
Robot Herder
3387 posts

There was a great presentation on mixing C++ and QML at the DevDays [qt.nokia.com]. Maybe you can still make it to the San Francisco event?

The presentations were recorded, I have no idea when those videos will become available though.

‹‹ Where is the source code for this example?      How to embed QTableView to QML-based GUI ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!