c++ and Qt quick
Your understanding is basically correct. In bulletpoints:
- C++ and widgets are here to stay, they are still the preferred way to work on the desktop.
- On the mobile platform, widgets are basically deprecated.
- QML/Quick is geared towards making UI more fluid, and more optimized to draw.
- QML/Quick will make its way to the desktop as well, but not in Qt 5.0
- QML/Quick is aimed as UI programming, but recommended practice is to write your logic, your backend in C++
- QML itself (as a language) may see more uses in the future than just GUI, if other areas are identified that can benefit from having a declarative language.
- Qt is an open platform now. It will move where we all need it to move, if we push it in that direction by contributing!