December 11, 2010

disperso disperso
Lab Rat
168 posts

Tag spam? Content tagged with very similar words

Page  
1

I’ve found that some content is being tagged with “qtdevnet” or “qtdn” when it was already tagged with “devnet” (with devnet being the preferred abbreviation, with more than 400 pages tagged as such). Similar with “creator” when it was already tagged with “qt creator”.

Probably the situation will change once the new features to the tag system come to the site, but for now, please, don’t add tags that don’t add value. :)

28 replies

December 11, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1045 posts

disperso wrote:
I’ve found that some content is being tagged with “qtdevnet” or “qtdn” when it was already tagged with “devnet” (with devnet being the preferred abbreviation, with more than 400 pages tagged as such). Similar with “creator” when it was already tagged with “qt creator”.

Probably the situation will change once the new features to the tag system come to the site, but for now, please, don’t add tags that don’t add value. :)

You are very right. I am currently cleaning up some. Synonyms are being used for tags. Say most posts have suggestion used as a tag and still people are tagging it with proposal, feature, feature-request, request and all such tags.

December 11, 2010

disperso disperso
Lab Rat
168 posts

Well, to me, suggestion and feature request can be different. A feature request in the devnet, certainly needs some code to be developed, while a suggestion might just be to open a new forum (like the new Qt ambassadors forum), or to change some text in the frontend. A suggestion might be done by an admin, a feature request only by a dev.

December 11, 2010

QtK QtK
Lab Rat
1045 posts
disperso wrote:
Well, to me, suggestion and feature request can be different. A feature request in the devnet, certainly needs some code to be developed, while a suggestion might just be to open a new forum (like the new Qt ambassadors forum), or to change some text in the frontend. A suggestion might be done by an admin, a feature request only by a dev.

Yes, I agree. But it seems in some cases its not being tagged so. So if we have some guidelines on what to tag in wiki in such scenarios. We can improve it.

December 11, 2010

mariusg mariusg
Ant Farmer
1091 posts

I’ll merge the most obvious ones for devnet and creator with the admin tool, no need to that manually folks.

Let me know if you see other candidates.

 Signature 

Project Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

December 11, 2010

mariusg mariusg
Ant Farmer
1091 posts

Also, we have a “bad tag” list where we can add tags that we keep removing. Just suggest in this thread and I’ll add the ones we all agree on.

 Signature 

Project Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

December 11, 2010

disperso disperso
Lab Rat
168 posts

The most common that I see:

  • creator vs qt creator
  • quick vs qt quick
  • simulator vs qt simulator

You know… :) Maybe not all apply, and in some cases “simulator” doesn’t mean qt simulator, though.

Also, I personally like more “qt 4.7” than “qt4.7”, and is what is recommended in the wiki [developer.qt.nokia.com]. I haven’t touched them to not swap points with others, of course. :)

There are other cases, but probably require manual checking, like webkit (sometimes it might mean qt webkit, but not always).

Thank you Marius.

December 11, 2010

mariusg mariusg
Ant Farmer
1091 posts
disperso wrote:
Also, I personally like more “qt 4.7” than “qt4.7”, and is what is recommended in the wiki [developer.qt.nokia.com]. I haven’t touched them to not swap points with others, of course. :)

I’ve merged those now :)

 Signature 

Project Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

December 11, 2010

Zlatomir Zlatomir
Ant Farmer
367 posts

<tags> new feature, request, suggestion</tags>
I strongly suggest a “thanks” button and reputation based on technical responses before any other contest.
A prize given for technical answers will attract the people this forum needs to grow the “technical value” of the topics.

This is very close to chaos, i admit i participated to the chaos with some “feature” and “request” tags (on topics that sounded like a request of a feature), yeah i really like the phone ;)

December 11, 2010

disperso disperso
Lab Rat
168 posts
Zlatomir wrote:
I strongly suggest a “thanks” button and reputation based on technical responses before any other contest. A prize given for technical answers will attract the people this forum needs to grow the “technical value” of the topics.

This is already planned [developer.qt.nokia.com]. Zlatomir, my only concern is people abusing the system, that is, people adding tags that add no value at all. If something is a feature request, a feature request tag makes sense.

I just hope people behaves well, and plays fair.

December 11, 2010

mariusg mariusg
Ant Farmer
1091 posts

We have an “epic” (collection of related issues in JIRA) for the next iteration of the Tag system, feel free to add suggestions and comments.

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTWEBSITE-135

 Signature 

Project Manager - Qt Development Frameworks

December 11, 2010

Bradley Bradley
Lab Rat
300 posts
disperso wrote:
Probably the situation will change once the new features to the tag system come to the site, but for now, please, don’t add tags that don’t add value. :)

I think it is unavoidable to have the wrong tags until the new features are implemented. It is currently too hard to know what other tags are in order to pick the right ones without accidental synonyms.

 Signature 

Nokia Certified Qt Specialist.

December 11, 2010

Bradley Bradley
Lab Rat
300 posts
mariusg wrote:
Also, we have a “bad tag” list where we can add tags that we keep removing. Just suggest in this thread and I’ll add the ones we all agree on.

Sounds like a good idea. How will we find that thread? (Or find it again after we forget where it is?)

Sorry, I misread. I skipped the “this” thread.

 Signature 

Nokia Certified Qt Specialist.

December 11, 2010

Bradley Bradley
Lab Rat
300 posts
disperso wrote:
Well, to me, suggestion and feature request can be different. A feature request in the devnet, certainly needs some code to be developed, while a suggestion might just be to open a new forum (like the new Qt ambassadors forum), or to change some text in the frontend. A suggestion might be done by an admin, a feature request only by a dev.

One person’s synonym is another person’s distinction. I think slight variations should be allow, within reason. The tags are for helping people find related information right? If the tags are too strict, it might limit that use.

 Signature 

Nokia Certified Qt Specialist.

December 11, 2010

Bradley Bradley
Lab Rat
300 posts

mariusg wrote:
I’ll merge the most obvious ones for devnet and creator with the admin tool, no need to that manually folks.

Let me know if you see other candidates.

Is this someplace that the Mad Scientists can help support the QtDevNet? Or would that be opening things up too much?

 Signature 

Nokia Certified Qt Specialist.

December 11, 2010

disperso disperso
Lab Rat
168 posts

Meh, it happened again. The wiki frontpage was tagged with weird stuff (mysql??). :-(

Sounds like some people might want to read their name on Monday.

Page  
1

  ‹‹ [Bug] Chrome: Vertical scroll bar always appears in code block      The all tag search stopped to work yesterday? ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!