November 9, 2010

qtftw qtftw
Lab Rat
3 posts

Cant Install the latest sdk, qmake.exe being used by another process

Page  

Hi all,
just downloaded the latest nokia qt sdk (for windows 7). I’m getting the following error during installation:

—————————————-
Installer Error
—————————————-
Error during installation process:
Qt patch error: Can not open C:/NokiaQtSDK/Symbian/SDK/bin/qmake.exe(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.).
—————————————-
Retry Ignore Cancel
—————————————-

Its not the first time I’m installing nokia qt sdk. I was running the 1.0 sdk and it worked fine. I started its update application, and maybe due to battery or some other reason the laptop restarted while the update process was on going, since then the update never completes and so I decided I should uninstall it and install it again, but my old installer of 1.0 sdk version didnt install properly when I tried and gave the same error as above.

So I decided to download the latest sdk thinking maybe it’ll install fine but to no avail.

Plz help. Thanks.

20 replies

November 13, 2010

qtftw qtftw
Lab Rat
3 posts

Hi, its been days since i posted this question and there is no reply, I hope it is not wrong place to ask this question.

November 13, 2010

anselmolsm anselmolsm
Ant Farmer
384 posts
qtftw wrote:
Hi, its been days since i posted this question and there is no reply, I hope it is not wrong place to ask this question.

Be patient :-P
I think less people is in the DevNet these days due to events (Qt Dev Days San Francisco last week, MeeGo Conf next week) and/or vacations.

Well, I have no idea of what’s happening, since I don’t use Windows for a long time. The default recommendation would be ‘restart your machine, then try again’, but I suppose you already did that. If you think it is a bug in the SDK itself, i.e. not a Windows bug, fill a bug report [bugreports.qt.nokia.com] about it.

Let’s see if anyone else can help here too.

Signature 

Anselmo L. S. Melo (anselmolsm)
www.anselmolsm.org

November 13, 2010

qtftw qtftw
Lab Rat
3 posts

oh its ok then :)
Yea I have like tried everything. The only thing left is reinstall windows just to install qt sdk, and if that has to be done then its definitely a bug in qt sdk.
I hope when ppl come back they do have a look at this post and help me debug. I have dual boot fedora in this laptop but due to some other software I get to use windows more and it wud be really gud if this installation starts working.

November 15, 2010

Deleted Member # 4a2 Deleted Member # 4a2
Ant Farmer
1274 posts

Have you tried to just delete the NokiaQtSDK folder and reinstall? I ran into an issue once while uninstalling and this worked for me

November 15, 2010

qtftw qtftw
Lab Rat
3 posts

Yes I have tried that also. Tried installing in another folder also. Tried installing in another partition too. Also cleared the temp folder in case something is wrong there with some previous installation files.

July 22, 2011

rupeshbhurke rupeshbhurke
Lab Rat
10 posts

Hi, I am facing the same problem while installing it on my machine. But when I installed it on a colleague’s machine it worked like a charm. Now the difference is I already have older versions of SDK on my machine and colleague’s machine didn’t have any. Could that be the reason?

BR
Rupesh

July 22, 2011

Lukas Geyer Lukas Geyer
Lab Rat
2068 posts

Try disabling your virus protection software during install.

July 22, 2011

Lab Rat
10 posts

Hi,

Thanks for suggestion, I just tried what you said. but that doesn’t work either. :(

BR
Rupesh

July 22, 2011

Lab Rat
10 posts

Screenshot : https://picasaweb.google.com/rupeshbhurke/UntitledAlbum#5632107000469000818

July 22, 2011

Lukas Geyer Lukas Geyer
Lab Rat
2068 posts

Have you tried to figure out which process [technet.microsoft.com] is accessing qmake?

1. handle qmake.exe

July 22, 2011

Lab Rat
10 posts

The output is

1. E:\Downloads\Handle>handle qmake.exe
  3. Handle v3.46
  4. Copyright (C) 1997-2011 Mark Russinovich
  5. Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
  7. No matching handles found.

Then I clicked on Retry! And ran handle again. Output:
  3. Handle v3.46
  7. System             pid: 4      type: File           CC0: E:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.7
  8. .3\mingw\bin\qmake.exe

After some moments it showed same error again. Running handle again produces same output

3. Handle v3.46
  7. System             pid: 4      type: File           CC0: E:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.7
  8. .3\mingw\bin\qmake.exe

July 22, 2011

Lukas Geyer Lukas Geyer
Lab Rat
2068 posts

This means that some piece of kernel mode code (driver, filter, service, …) is accessing the file.

Be sure that your virus protection software is really disabled – most products keep running even though disabled and need a restart or a complete removal for having them turned off.

If you can exclude your virus protection software my next bet would be the bloody Application Experience (or Application Compatibility Assistant) which can be disabled by group policy Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility and the Application Experience service.

July 23, 2011

Lab Rat
10 posts

Hi, I am not sure how to change the policies. But I uninstalled the AV and restarted the machine and re-ran the installer. I got the same error. What should I try next?

BR
Rupesh

July 23, 2011

Lukas Geyer Lukas Geyer
Lab Rat
2068 posts

You can edit group policy objects using the Group Policy Editor (Windows + R, gpedit.msc).

July 23, 2011

Lab Rat
10 posts

I get “Windows can’t find gpedit.msc. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
I have Windows 7 Home Basic Edition. Does that have anything to do missing gpedit.msc?
I searched whole PC for gpedit.msc but found none! :(

Page  

‹‹ Cmake vs .pro      deploy on mac with macdeploytq -app to big ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!