November 26, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

Timeline of releases

Page  
1

I am currently working with Qt 4.8.0 and Qt Creator 2.4.0 RC.

But I would like to know if there is any web page where I can find something like expected release dates?

That would be very helpful for planning my timelines.

17 replies

November 26, 2011

qxoz qxoz
Mad Scientist
1079 posts

I think this question interesting for many people.

November 26, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

Yes, I thought so that I am not the only one that is interested in this.

I release expectation date is highly helpful to plan your timelines based on the Qt timelines.

November 26, 2011

sierdzio sierdzio
Area 51 Engineer
4730 posts

AFAIK, release dates for Qt are always “when it’s done”.

Recent conversations on Qt ML suggest that there are some bugs to be squished before 4.8 is out, and it would probably take a couple of weeks.

 Signature 

(Z(:^

November 26, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

Yes, that makes sense…

Still, I recommend one page, that lists beta releases and release candidates with their ETA.

ETA’s can change if there is a reason, no problem. But it is still better than “As they come”.

November 26, 2011

Gerolf Gerolf
Robot Herder
3253 posts

Up to now it was always: will be out this year or next year, not more precisely. I don’t know whether Nokia wants to change that.

 Signature 

Nokia Certified Qt Specialist.
Programming Is Like Sex: One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)

November 26, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

Yes, I noticed that too :-)

But I have a feeling that the Qt project is trying to improve. That would be in my opinion a huge step forward to keep us developers not in the darkness.

Each professional project is doing this, especially projects which are so big and vibrating.

November 26, 2011

Volker Volker
Ant Farmer
5428 posts

There are no published release dates for Qt 4.8 and Creator 2.4. It’s published when it’s done.

For Qt5, starting next year, it’s planned to have feature releases every 6 months.

November 26, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

Yes, I found this too. Thank you!

I started this Thread as a suggestion for the Qt Project.
To whom we can address this?

November 26, 2011

sierdzio sierdzio
Area 51 Engineer
4730 posts

walteste wrote:
Yes, I found this too. Thank you!

I started this Thread as a suggestion for the Qt Project.
To whom we can address this?

The development mailing list perhaps? Although just as Gerolf Volker (sorry :)) stated, this 6 month schedule is already on.

What’s so wrong about “when it’s done” anyway? I do refer getting the content when it’s ready and bug-free. Since the code is open, I can always use most current sources when I need to. Forcing it into a schedule can be a bit dangerous – ppl would rush to put in new features because a new version HAS to have new features, right? IMO, a stable code is as good now as it will be a month later, we don’t need to give it a new number just because there is a release scheduled.

… just some random ramblings. Now I read this post again, I’m not so sure about it ;)

 Signature 

(Z(:^

November 26, 2011

Andre Andre
Robot Herder
6399 posts

Well, I can see the point of wanting to have a release date. For instance, our company is planning to upgrade to Qt 4.8 when it is available. That does require work however (building and testing and running autotests for multiple platforms and configurations), so that work will need to be scheduled. Having a release date will make that easier. We do want to upgrade rather sooner than later, as that gives us more time in the actual development cycle to actually start using the new features.

November 26, 2011

sierdzio sierdzio
Area 51 Engineer
4730 posts

I am definitely too young for this, then :) Coding is still only hobby for me, with no requirements “from above”. You’re right, of course, in these circumstances having the set date is clearly advantageous.

 Signature 

(Z(:^

November 29, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

Yes, as mentioned by Andre, there are a lot of dependend works to schedule. It would make life much easier, if we would get at least an approximate ETA.

Andre wrote:
Well, I can see the point of wanting to have a release date. For instance, our company is planning to upgrade to Qt 4.8 when it is available. That does require work however (building and testing and running autotests for multiple platforms and configurations), so that work will need to be scheduled. Having a release date will make that easier. We do want to upgrade rather sooner than later, as that gives us more time in the actual development cycle to actually start using the new features.

November 29, 2011

Andre Andre
Robot Herder
6399 posts

Last thing I heard (mind you: very unofficial, non-verified rumour-level information), is that a release is expected 1-3 weeks from now.

November 29, 2011

Stefan Walter Stefan Walter
Lab Rat
103 posts

At least, this is some good news :-)

What can be done to address the ETA discussion to the Qt Team?

Andre wrote:
Last thing I heard (mind you: very unofficial, non-verified rumour-level information), is that a release is expected 1-3 weeks from now.

November 29, 2011

Volker Volker
Ant Farmer
5428 posts

walteste wrote:
At least, this is some good news :-)

What can be done to address the ETA discussion to the Qt Team?

Go ahead if you want to annoy the devs and cry for being ignored in the future…

This discussion has been done over and over in the last years, don’t expect anything than “OMG – not again”.

Page  
1

  ‹‹ SVG didn’t rendered properly      exception mechanism of boost.regex conflicts with QT lib ››

You must log in to post a reply. Not a member yet? Register here!